Personally, I’m one of those people for whom new year’s resolutions always just kind of fall flat. It’s not that I don’t try to keep up with them, it’s just that sometimes I just don’t feel motivated to do those thing anymore. This year, though, like every year, I’m going to try my very hardest to follow through. And who knows? Maybe writing it down will make me feel more obligated to do my best!
- Get better at my German
- My German’s actually pretty good. But I want it to be better. I’ve wanted to go to Germany for so long now that I can’t even remember when I originally started to want to go there and when I eventually do get to go, I want to be able to speak easily and confidently with locals.
- Finish writing my books
- I’ve finished writing Clemency, but it still needs its editing to be done completely. Which I still haven’t quite gotten to yet. And then, there’s the new novel that I’m writing called Anika Köhler. I want to finish that by the end of NaNoWriMo 2016 if I am not done with it before that point.
- Write everyday
- This is pretty self-explanatory. I want to write everyday for another writing project that I’m doing. I don’t want to talk about it too much because I don’t want to get my hopes up but we’ll see how it goes.
- Raise awareness about Camille Desmoulins
- I’ve been working on a school project about Camille for four months now and really, I’ve fallen in love with the guy. My friends say that I’m obsessed, but I am determined to bring Camille and his story to the attention of more people. It’s not fair that in life and death he has been under the shadow of Danton and Robespierre when he was really his own person.
- Stop procrastinating
- I’m a major procrastinator. There is one upside to this: I work better under pressure. But, all the same, procrastination isn’t a good habit and one of these days my procrastination habits will come around to slap me in the face. So I want to reduce procrastination by as much as at all possible.
- Overall to be a more personable person
- I don’t think that I’m a particularly cold person (I did, after all, get voted “most friendly” in high school), but I know that I am pretty bad at socializing with people and I would really, really like to work on that. It’s partially because I’m a really awkward person to talk to (and I don’t think that that will ever change) but I really need to work on stepping outside of my comfort zone.
- Learn more about Lutheranism and the faith that I grew up with
- As a Lutheran, I’ve always been kind of ashamed that I don’t know nearly as much about the Lutheran Reformation as I would like to know and feel as if I should know. Along with this, I would like to try to read the Bible all the way through again. I would also like to reread The Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan again while reading through all of the corresponding Bible verses that are annotated along the sides.
I think that’s all for me! Do you have any new year’s resolutions? How do you usually do in keeping them?