I’ll be the first to admit that there have been many, many times in which I’d decide to sit down and watch or listen to a musical with doubts as to whether or not I will enjoy said musical but when it’s over I’ll be head-over-heels in love with it. Today I thought that I would make a really quick post about a few of those.
- ELISABETH was a musical that I was initially really unsure about. I’d heard great things about it so I thought that I’d listen to it and see if I could get into it. I didn’t have high expectations but when I finished listening to it, I was obsessed. It’s now one of my most favorite musicals–if not my absolute favorite–and I still can’t believe that I thought that I might not like it. I can’t even imagine my life without ELISABETH now. And really, it didn’t take much to make me fall in love with this musical. Nope. It just took watching a trailer for the musical and I fell head-over heels in love. The idea of the musical lured me in and then the songs, and then the characters. Overall ELISABETH just completely surprised me and I love it so much.
- WICKED is very popular but nonetheless I wasn’t sure if it’d be “my type” of musical because I can be pretty picky when it comes to musicals. But this musical completely took me by surprise. I’d read the book before watching the musical and from what I heard of the songs they didn’t seem to hold the same sort of emotion and feel that the book did and so I was unsure as to whether or not I would like the musical. I also tend to like musicals that are more well… serious than WICKED and I had this wrong impression that WICKED was a musical meant for children. But after watching it, I realized that it was definitely much more lighthearted than the book and that it was different from a lot of the musicals that I generally like but I realized also that I didn’t mind and that, despite it being a family-friendly musical, it is not only for children. Now it’s one of my favorites.
- NEXT TO NORMAL is a musical that I don’t talk about nearly as much as I ought to on this blog. Because it is one of my favorites despite the fact that I was initially unsure about it. Going into it I didn’t know a thing about the storyline or what the musical was about. And NEXT TO NORMAL is one of the most complex musicals that I have ever come across. It’s a musical that made me cry like a little baby. It’s a musical that I absolutely love to this day. I wish that it was still running on Broadway because it is such an amazing musical. It’s a musical that I love. It’s a musical that I need to listen to again because I haven’t had my dose of NEXT TO NORMAL in way too long.
- JERSEY BOYS is a musical that I haven’t seen on Broadway but I have, however, seen the movie adaption. And unfortunately, it’s closing on Broadway and I probably will never get to see it live for a long while. I didn’t think that JERSEY BOYS would be the sort of musical that I would like because I generally don’t like jukebox musicals. But I was pleasantly surprised and I fell in love with this musical. It’s not in my top ten but I still like it a lot. It’s yet another musical that I wish that I could see again.
- SOMETHING ROTTEN! is quite possibly the funniest musical that I have ever come across… ever. But that being said when I watched it for the first time I had little to no idea as to what it was about. I just knew that it was supposed to be hilarious. And goodness’s sakes… it really is hilarious. I love this musical. I wish that it didn’t close on Broadway. I hope that the tour comes to Seattle (though at the moment it seems as if it might not). I just love this musical so much. Everything about it is amazing from the costumes to the songs to the jokes to the dance breaks. Man, I wish I could see this again.
- THE LAST FIVE YEARS is yet another musical that I knew nothing about. Except for the fact that it is sad. I knew that. It’s sad. It’s so, so sad. But I love it so much. In fact, I’m listening to it right now. THE LAST FIVE YEARS may never have made it to Broadway but it’s definitely still one of my favorites. It’s such a good musical that I don’t even know how to describe. It’s fun to watch, it’s happy at points, and it’s really, really sad at others. But it’s got great songs and a great structure. Actually, a lot of my writing playlist are songs from THE LAST FIVE YEARS.
What are some musicals that you were unsure about but fell in love with?