I thought that I’d do a really quick post for today because it’s going to be a busy day for me so…. Anyways, I thought that I’d do a list of my favorite protagonist songs from musicals. For this list, I’m only dealing with the main protagonist of the story just to keep it simple.
· CORNER OF THE SKY from PIPPIN – “Corner of the Sky” is the song that really made me fall in love with PIPPIN the first time that I heard the soundtrack. It’s the sort of song that just makes me happy and it’s a song that I always have on my writing playlist because it gets me writing right away.
· WHO AM I from LES MISÉRABLES – Valjean gets really good songs throughout LES MIZ, but I think that “Who Am I” is my favorite. It was a tough call but I think that this song really demonstrates the difference between “Look Down / Work Song” Valjean to this new Valjean.
· WISHING YOU WERE SOMEHOW HERE AGAIN from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – I had a tough time choosing between this song and “Think of Me” from PHANTOM. Both are really good songs but I think that this song is more emotionally provoking and just in general a more important song to Christine as a character than “Think of Me” is.
· ICH GEHÖR NUR MIR (I Belong to Me) from ELISABETH – This song is absolutely phenomenal and it’s the one that I first fell in love with from ELISABETH. So it’s really important to me in that way. Also, it’s just an absolutely wonderful emotional song. It’s easy to see the emotional journey that Sisi makes even just throughout this song.
· DRAUßEN IST FREIHEIT (Out There is Freedom) from TANZ DER VAMPIRE – This is technically a duet between Alfred and Sarah but I feel like they kind of share that main protagonist spot so I decided that I’d put this one in here. It’s a really sweet song and I really wanted to add it onto this list.
· WHERE IS LOVE from OLIVER! – This is one of the first songs of the musical… okay, well, that’s not quite true. But it is definitely a song that shows up early in the first act. And I just love this song. I absolutely adore it.
· THE WIZARD AND I from WICKED – The song that I most often talk about from WICKED is “I’m Not That Girl” but I really love “The Wizard and I” as well. It really shows Elphaba’s hopeful side and I think that hope is really important in musical theatre.
· FAVORTIE THINGS from THE SOUND OF MUSIC – “Favorite Things” is one of my favorite songs from THE SOUND OF MUSIC. It was actually the first song that I became really familiar with and so that’s why I had to put it on this list. I remains one of my favorites to this day.
· IN MY OWN LITTLE CORNER from ROGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN’S CINDERELLA – When I think of a protagonist song, I think of “In My Own Little Corner” from CINDERELLA. It was actually one of the first musical theatre songs that I really fell in love with it and it’s still one that is near and dear to my heart.
· CALL ME RUSTY from STARLIGHT EXPRESS – As I recall, this song has actually been cut from the more recent productions of STARLIGHT EXPRESS. Or maybe I have that backwards and it’s been added in… at any rate, I love this song. Rusty’s energy in this song is absolutely amazing. Of course, the most obvious song to add to this list would have been “Starlight Express” but I decided to think a little outside of the box for once.
· TRÄUM GROß (Dream Big) from SCHIKANEDER – “Träum Groß” is another duet from the new Stephen Schwartz musical, SCHIKANEDER. It’s starring one of my absolute favorite musical theatre actors and this is one of the best songs in my opinion. It’s got a really classical feel to it and I love that. If you’re a fan of classical music, this is on that you will enjoy. I put this one on the list because I feel like it’s really important to the development of Emanuel Schikaneder’s character.
And that’s all from me today, I think. What are your favorite songs sung by the lead protagonist of a musical