Finally, another musical post! It’s the end of the semester and I’m just glad to be taking a break. So, I thought that I’d talk about some of my favorite duets from musicals (actually, I’m not sure how taking a break from school and duets correlate but I’ll go with it…)!
· WENN ICH TANZEN WILL (If I Want to Dance) from ELISABETH – This song is absolutely addicting. And seriously, I could listen to this song all day long. I won’t go so far as to say that it’s my favorite song from ELISABETH (I love a lot of songs from ELISABETH; actually, I love all of them), but it definitely is high on that list. And seriously, it’s definitely one of my favorite duets.
· WIE DU (Like You) from ELISABETH – And here we have yet another duet from ELISABETH. Except for the fact that this one comes from early in Act I whereas “Wenn Ich Tanzen Will” comes from early in Act II. This song is one of the songs from ELISABETH that I see as absolutely adorable (most of the other songs I see as absolutely beautiful). And seriously, this might be one of the cutest songs from any musical ever.
· SCHWARZER PRINZ (Dark Prince) from ELISABETH – Another one from early in Act I! And it’s one that funnily didn’t catch my eye until I bought the CD and well really listened to it. But now it’s one of my absolute favorites. I’ll admit that I put it on repeat several times in this week alone. And let me tell you this: the Sisi – der Tod chemistry is going to kill me one of these days because in this song, it is absolutely cute.
· FOR GOOD / GUTES TUN from WICKED – Guys… this song is absolutely wonderful. It’s just one of those songs that really tugs on the heartstrings if you know what I mean. This was actually the first song that I heard from WICKED and what actually finally got me to give the musical as a whole a chance. And seriously, I’m glad that I did.
· AS LONG AS YOU’RE MINE / SOLANG ICH DICH HAB from WICKED – Another one from WICKED! So the love triangle in WICKED is amazing. And this song kind of just is the culminating point of all of that. Which is pretty awesome. Also, I just feel happy for Elphie in this scene (though admittedly, I also feel seriously bad for Glinda…). But this song is amazing. Did I already say that? Probably. But it’s worth saying again.
· ALL I ASK OF YOU / MEHR WILL ICH NICHT VON DIR from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – And, if you ask me, this is the most iconic duets ever. But maybe I’m just a little biased? PHANTOM’s one of my favorite musicals. Raoul and Christine are one of my favorite musical couples. This song is absolutely wonderful. And so I jump to it being one of the most iconic duets ever? Yeah… maybe I’m pushing it a little. But no matter what the view of the world is, this song will always be one of the greatest to me.
· THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA / DAS PHANTOM DER OPER from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – And now we’ve arrived at the title song. Yep! Do I even need to explain this one? Well, it definitely isn’t one of those “awwww…” invoking duets. In fact, it’s almost a creepy duet. But it’s good. Goodness’s sake, it’s good… and it’s even better when it’s live on stage. Trust me on that.
· A HEART FULL OF LOVE / MEIN HERZ RUFT NACH DIR from LES MISÉRABLES – Okay, guys… this song is amazing. Really, it is. Well… actually, this was a song from LES MIZ that I didn’t like originally but I have since come around to really, really liking it. It’s not, by any means, my favorite song from the musical but it still is a wonderful song that deserves a place on this list.
· TRÄUM GROß (Dream Big) from SCHIKANEDER – This is the most recent of the duets to make it onto this list but seriously, it’s one of the best. I need to get on a plane to Austria so that I can see SCHIKANEDER right now. But… that won’t happen. So I’ll just content myself with listening to the marvel that is the cast recording. Seriously, Mark Seibert is amazing as Emanuel Schikaneder. Am I getting off topic? Sure am. Anyways, this song is awesome. This song might be my favorite Stephen Schwartz song. Seriously. It’s that good.
· DRAUßEN IST FREIHEIT (Out there is Freedom) from TANZ DER VAMPIRE – This song is really cute. Seriously though. Also, I love the word “freiheit” (it means “freedom”). I don’t know why I just do. And the word “draußen” is pretty great too. I wish that I could see this musical live… but that won’t happen for a while. And that’s seriously so sad for me.
· TOTALE FINSTERNIS (Total Darkness) from TANZ DER VAMPIRE – Okay, okay. I know that I love Alfred / Sarah as a pairing and that I’m not the biggest Krolock / Sarah fan (Krolock kinda sorta creeps me out), but this song is awesome. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I’ll even go so far as to say that this song and “Einladung zum Ball” (Invitation to the Ball) share the spot as my favorite song from TANZ DER VAMPIRE. Also, costumes are amazing in this scene. Actually, what am I talking about? Costumes are amazing in every scene of this musical. But this scene really is the icing on the cake when it comes to costumes.
· DU ALLEIN / YOU ALONE from STARLIGHT EXPRESS – Childhood memories… ah… those were the good old days. Seriously though. This was my favorite song as a kid. I still listen to this song whenever I decide to just pull on my rollerblades and skate around the block (that doesn’t happen much anymore but that doesn’t mean that I don’t listen to this song at other times). Seriously, this is a good song from a wonderful musical. Man, I need to get myself over to Germany right now.
· TOO MUCH IN LOVE TO CARE from SUNSET BOULEVARD – Did I mention that I love this song? Well, I did in a post last week, but I might as well mention it again because I still love it. This song might actually be my favorite ALW song. And that’s a high honor.
· DER SCHLEIER FÄLLT (The Veil Descends) from ELISABETH – Yeah, I thought that I was done with the ELISABETH section a little while ago. But I’m not! Surprise! I might have a bit of an obsession with this musical. But that’s okay! Anyways, this song is amazing. Amazing, amazing, amazing. Actually, this song is my current favorite song. No joke. Give me any version of this song and, even if originally I don’t like it much, I will find something about it that I like and it will probably become one of my new most-listened to versions of this song. Guys, I told you that I have a problem…. Also, Sisi and der Tod so… what’s not to like?
Das ist alles für mich! What are your favorite duets from musicals? Tschüss!
*Fun fact: “Tscüss” which means “bye” in German has the double “s” at the end. Usually, that would mean that the eszette (ß) would come into play but I’ve never really seen it spelt that way!