Yet another snow day in Seattle. And I slept in again so I’m bringing you yet another late-morning blogpost. Man, I just miss the rain. Anyways, let’s get into the blogpost. So, today I thought that I’d bring you a list of my favorite Musical Cast Recordings. Some Cast Recordings are better than others, let’s just face it. And I thought that I’d give you a list of some of my favorites… so the ones that never seem to leave my CD player. Achtung, fertig, los!
· ELISABETH (Wien, 2012) – I know that a lot of people’s favorite Sisi / Death pairing is Pia Douwes and Uwe Kröger. And, don’t get me wrong, I love them. But my personal favorite cast? That’d have to be the one that’s featured on this CD: Annemieke Van Dam as Sisi and Mark Seibert as Death. There’s just something so wonderfully epic about this recording. It’s so awesome. The listening experience is great. Mark Seibert’s got a really strong voice and Annemieke Van Dam brings this really sweet air to Sisi and it’s wonderful. The recording was done during live shows so it’s an amazing listening experience because some of the energy of the show transfers to your living room. So, if you’re interested in listening to ELISABETH, this is the cast recording that I would personally recommend.
· SCHIKANEDER (Wien, 2016) – So this just recently came out and I love, love, love it. Stephen Schwartz has done it yet again, my friends. And Mark Seibert is also in this one as Emanuel Schikaneder and he does an amazing job. Seriously, this guy has to be my favorite German musical theatre actor.
· LES MISÉRABLES (Tour, 2010) – This is the one with John Owen-Jones as Jean Valjean and Earl Carpenter as Javert. They’re my favorite Valjean / Javert casting and I think that they do a splendid job. This recording is also from live performances so it makes for a really great listening experience. I’ve only had this CD for about a year now –my mom bought it for my birthday—but it is easily one of my most-listened to CDs. I absolutely adore it.
· LES MISÉRABLES (International) – This is one of the most amazing casts that I have ever heard for well… anything. Unfortunately, I can’t remember the names of any of the actors except for Anthony Warlow who played Enjolras (he’s great). Nonetheless, tough, the power in every actor’s voice is absolutely amazing and I highly recommend this one.
· DAS PHANTOM DER OPER (Hamburg) – I can’t remember the actors who sing in this version but seriously, this recording is amazing. I grew up listening to this and it greatly helped me in my German-learning. Even if you’re not a German speaker, I think that you can probably find appreciation for this recording. It’s awesome.
· EL FANTASMA DE LA OPERA (Mexico, 1999) – I don’t understand much Spanish—little to none if I’m to be completely honest—but this cast recording is awesome to listen to. I just really like it. My dad’s actually told me that this is probably his favorite cast recording of PHANTOM to just listen to (he doesn’t understand any Spanish). It’s just really nice to listen to and I really enjoy it.
· BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (Broadway) – Man, I remember the day that I got this CD in the mail. I was so, so, happy. It’s just amazing. It’s absolutely phenomenal. The songs are absolutely wonderful and it’s a must-have whenever I go on a road trip. It’s great because the whole family knows and loves all of the songs so it can be like a singalong… if you’re into that sort of thing (which I am).
· WICKED (Germany) – So, again, we have a cast recording with Mark Seibert making an appearance on this list. I’m telling you, there is not much that this guy can’t do with his voice. We went from ELISABETH in which he played Death, to SCHIKANEDER, in which he plays Emanuel Schikaneder (the music is very Mozart-esque. So… very classical) to WICKED, in which he played Fiyero. Yep. Crazy. Anyways, this is the cast recording that introduced me to WICKED so it’ll always have a place in my heart.
· WICKED (Broadway) – This Broadway recording of WICKED is pretty great. This CD was in my CD player every morning throughout my high school life. I remember listening to “Dancing Through Life” every morning just to get me waking up. Man… I was weird back then… but at the same time, why don’t I do that anymore?
· JEKYLL & HYDE (Original Concept Recording) – Anthony Warlow is quite possibly one of the greatest singers that I have ever heard. And a lot of the reason that I cite for that is this CD. He’s awesome as both Jekyll and Hyde and this might be one of the best CDs that I have in my collection. Seriously, I never tire of it. And the music is awesome. Goodness’s sake… I need to listen to this again.
· A TALE OF TWO CITIES (International Studio Recording) – I love, love, love this CD. Every actor is awesome. Every song is amazing. It’s only a pity that this show isn’t still running on Broadway because I want to see it. I really, really want to see it. Not to mention that I cry just listening to this CD because it’s so drop-dead sad.
So, that’s it for me! What are some of your favorite CDs that you have in your collection? Tschüss!