I’ve loved classics since I was about in first grade and have loved them ever since. And you know that excitement that one gets when they hear that the book that they’re reading is getting a movie adaptation or already has one? Well… the same goes for me with musical adaptations. So today I thought that I would share some of my favorite musical adaptations of classic novels.
· LES MISÉRABLES – What kind of list would this be without LES MISÉRABLES on here? I’ll be the first to admit that the novel is no cup of tea—it’s ridiculously tough to get through—but it’s worth it in my opinion. Anyways, the musical is a classic by anyone’s standards. It has truly changed me. And it’s a wonderful, wonderful musical adaptation. The characters are very well-done and the songs that they’ve got only enhance their character.
· THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – Again, we have another classical, well-beloved musical. Unlike LES MIZ, though, PHANTOM’s book is much, much easier to get through. It’s short and it won’t take longer than a day to read for a fast reader. Of course, there are a few differences from the book in the musical but for the most part, I think that those changes are well done and I don’t mind them.
· A TALE OF TWO CITIES – This is a wonderful, wonderful adaptation. The characters are done splendidly. Sydney Carton is so… Sydney with those songs. I can’t think of a better way of transferring his personality into something that people can see and hear than by song. It’s a heartbreaker, this one. But it’s wonderful.
· JEKYLL & HYDE – I don’t talk about this musical nearly as much as I should. This musical has some wonderful, wonderful songs. There’s just something so compelling about the orchestrations and the lyrics. When I first heard that there was a musical version of JEKYLL & HYDE, I thought that it’d be a mess. After all, how would they perfectly get the whole transformation on stage? Well… they do. And it’s awesome. It’s really, really awesome.
· OLIVER! – Charles Dickens is one of my favorite authors when it comes to classics and OLIVER TWIST is one of my favorites. I grew up watching OLIVER! and it was actually what introduced me to musical theatre and made me fall in love with it. To this day, it remains one of my favorites and one of my most recommended musicals. It’s got wonderful dance breaks and wonderful, wonderful songs that I never get tired of. Highly recommend the movie version of this musical as well. I can honestly say that it is one of my favorite musical movies.
So, there you have five musical adaptions of classic stories! What are some of your favorites? Tschüss!