Guten tag! I’m a big Disney fan and definitely not ashamed of it. Disney movies, I think, are what link everyone in some way, shape, or form (maybe take out those last two, huh?) to musicals. But… at any rate, I thought that I’d talk about my top twenty Disney songs today. And man… it’s going to be hard to narrow this down. But… I’ve got my BEAUTY AND THE BEAST CD rolling and a huge cup of hot cocoa (I’m still a kid at heart) so… I guess I’m ready to go!
1. A CHANGE IN ME from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST – I think that this might’ve been the first musical theatre song that I really, really fell in love with when I first saw BEAUTY AND THE BEAST on stage (I’ve since seen it many, many more times). There’s always been something so special about this song to me. The character development and emotion is amazing in this song.
2. IF I CAN’T LOVE HER from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST – If there’s any song that I wish was in the movie version of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, it’s this one. I feel like the Beast’s character gets so much more development through this scene and I think that it’s such a beautiful song. It gives so much insight and man… it’s such a heartbreaking song but it’s so good at the same time.
3. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (Die Schöne und das Biest) from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST – So… here we’ve got “Beauty and the Beast” / “Die Schöne und das Biest” (The Beauty and the Beast). This song is absolutely enchanting. You may be wondering why the German version is included here and well… it’s not that I first fell in love with this song through German—I first watched BEAUTY AND THE BEAST in English—but rather that some of the lyrics are absolutely entrancing in this version. Take, for example, “Märchen schreibt die Zeit” (“Time writes fairytales”) and if that’s not beautiful, I don’t know what is.
4. BELLE + BELLE (Reprise) from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST – I’ve always loved ensemble numbers and I’m 98.99% sure that this was my first exposure to ensemble numbers and definitely one of the first that I fell in love with. The reprise is just utterly beautiful and spoke to my wanderlust as a child (and still does).
5. STORIES from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: THE ENCHANTED CHRISTMAS – I’ve always been a reader. And this song always spoke to me as to why I loved reading so much and now, it holds more meaning to me as a writer and hopeful author. Belle’s amazing and this song just brings out her wonderful bookishness that we all have grown to love about her.
6. AS LONG AS THERE’S CHRISTMAS from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: THE ENCHANTED CHRISTMAS – A bit late/early to be talking about Christmas? Well… maybe. But… this song needed to be on this list. As you might be able to tell, I’m a fan of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST: THE ENCHANTED CHRISTMAS (the sequel to BEAUTY AND THE BEAST) and I just love this song (especially when Bernadette Peters gets to sing the reprise).
7. I WON’T SAY I’M IN LOVE (Ich Will Keine [Mann]) from HERCULES – A little-known fact about me is that HERCULES is probably my second-favorite Disney movie, falling right behind BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. I think that this was always my favorite song from the movie. The German version’s listed here too because I love some of the remarks Megara makes in German such as “Männer Spinnen!” (“Men are crazy” / “Men are bonkers”). Meg is one of my favorite Disney heroines and I absolutely adore this song.
8. I CAN GO THE DISTANCE from HERCULES – “I Can Go the Distance” is a song that I only more recently grew to appreciate, probably because its message was a little too thick for me as a five year-old kid to understand to the extent that I do now. It just hold a lot of meaning to me now and I love that.
9. I CAN’T BELIEVE MY HEART from HERCULES – “I Can’t Believe My Heart” was replaced by “I Won’t Say I’m in Love” in the final cut of the movie as “I Can’t Believe My Heart” was deemed too much of a ballad to fit Meg’s character. And that makes sense. But I still really like the emotion that this song brings to Meg.
10. MOTHER KNOWS BEST from TANGLED – “Mother Knows Best” is probably my favorite Disney villain song just as Mother Gothel is probably my favorite Disney villain of more recent years. TANGLED is my favorite more recent Disney movie and I’ve always loved this scene. “Mother Knows Best” is just fun in this weird way and I can’t help but sing along (much to my little brother’s dismay).
11. I’VE GOT A DREAM from TANGLED – Yet another great scene from TANGLED is “I’ve Got a Dream”. Man… this scene always makes me smile and I just think that this would be such a great scene to perform. Love, love, love it. I also just like the theme of everyone having their own unique dreams despite their appearances and I think it’s so fun. It’s also great comic relief. Man… I need to watch this movie again.
12. WANN FÄNGT MEIN LEBEN AN (When Will My Life Begin?) from TANGLED – So… I’m specifically talking about the German version here (not that I don’t love the English version). There’s something so fun about the German version that I feel just isn’t in the English one. I don’t know what it is. Also, if I’m to be completely honest, I love when Rapunzel says “Klar” at the beginning. Because… “Klar” is one of my favorite words.
13. GOD HELP THE OUTCASTS from THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME – I think that THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME is definitely one of the most underrated Disney movies ever. And “God Help the Outcasts” is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard from a Disney movie. It’s touching, it’s moving, and man… I makes me cry.
14. OUT THERE from THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME – Everyone who really, really knows me knows that I love tenor voices and that I also love “I Want” songs. And this song’s got both. So, naturally, this had to be on the list. Quasi is one of my favorite Disney characters and I think that this song just gives his character the perfect texture that it needed to be complete.
15. PART OF YOUR WORLD from THE LITTLE MERMAID – THE LITTLE MERMAID was never one of my favorite Disney movies because my dad had always read me the Hans Christian Anderson original and I just couldn’t get over how different it was but I watched it thousands of times because it was my little sister’s favorite. And I did grow somewhat fond of it though it’s still not in my top five. There’s something about this song that I’ve always loved, though and I think that it definitely deserves a spot on this list.
16. A WHOLE NEW WORLD (In Deine Welt) from ALADDIN – There was this one year in which my siblings and I watched ALADDIN every day for about a week. It’s a marvel that our parents didn’t go absolutely insane after all of that. I have distinct memories of going to this park with my brother and sister and whenever there was no one around, we’d sing this song on the top of our lungs. The German version of this song is also included because I think that the translation is absolutely beautiful and I just couldn’t leave it out.
17. PALACE WALLS from ALADDIN – “Palace Walls” is a part of the stage production of ALADDIN and it’s an absolutely amazing song. You know how I talked about how “Belle (Reprise)” really just fed my wanderlust as a kid? This effectively did and still does the same thing. I love this song. I just love it. Love, love, love it.
18. PROUD OF YOUR BOY from ALADDIN – “Proud of Your Boy” is a song that I think got cut from the movie and added to the stage production (I could be wrong but I know for sure that this song isn’t in the movie) and man… I love this song. I just love the little bit of extra texture it gives to Aladdin’s character.
19. ALMOST THERE (Ich Bin Ganz Nah Dran) from THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG – So… THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG has some pretty great songs but… I’m running out of room on this list and so we’re going to limit myself to this one today. “Almost There” is the perfect “I Want” song and its German translation, “Ich Bin Ganz Nah Dran” is one of the best English-to-German translations of a song that I’ve heard. Not to mention that the German voice actress was phenomenal.
20. IF I NEVER KNEW YOU from POCAHONTAS – As a history geek, I can’t watch POCAHONTAS and retain my sanity. Those things don’t combine. But… this song is just too good to pass up. “If I Never Knew You” was cut from the movie but man… it’s a beautiful song. I still wouldn’t like the movie very much with the song in it but I just love this song so much. It’s kinda hard to explain, really.
And so, that’s it for me! What are some of your favorite songs from Disney movies? What are some of your favorite Disney movies? Tschüss!