Guten tag! So… I’m rushing to write this because it’s my brother’s birthday and after some celebrations, I’m going to go watch the new NEWSIES movie with my cousin and her husband so forgive me if there’s spelling errors!
Yesterday, the new STARLIGHT EXPRESS präsentationsvideo for 2017 came out and I immediately watched it and I realized “Ach! Das ist super süß!” (“Oh, that’s super cute!”). (The präsentationsvideo is for the Bochum, Germany production so it’s in German, of course, so my thoughts were also in German… if that matters. Anyways…) So today, I thought that I’d do a countdown of my top ten favorite cute moments from musical theatre. These moments are just purely cute, not necessarily beautiful or gorgeous. So… let’s get into it, shall we?
1. FÜR IMMER (“Forever” or “For Always”) from STARLIGHT EXPRESS – So… this is the scene that I was talking about in that little intro above. Man… the cuteness hit me hard and I just was grinning like an absolute dork. I’m always happy when couples just go for hugs instead of kisses. I don’t know… something about it is just… cuter to me. And that’s exactly what Kevin Köhler and Trina Hill did as Rusty and Pearl (respectively) in the präsentationsvideo. Man… it was adorable.
2. ALL I ASK OF YOU from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – This scene is always one of the most adorable things in the world. I love, love, love it so much. I always am just grinning when this scene comes on. I love the part where Raoul whirls Christine around. Man… ALW does good cute scenes in his musicals, I guess! Because the next one is also from an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical…
3. TOO MUCH IN LOVE TO CARE from SUNSET BOULEVARD – When I heard that SUNSET BOULEVARD was coming back to Broadway, I was the most ridiculously happy person in the world and I just really, really hope to see it. And 98% of the reason (maybe that’s a tad exaggeration) is due to the fact that I want to see this scene live so bad. I can’t describe how absolutely cute this scene is and my only recommendation is just to look up the song! It’s awesome and I’m 95% sure that you won’t be disappointed!
4. FINAL TRANSFORMATION / END DUET from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST – Man… I just love, love, love this scene. What I always suppose to be the wedding scene is one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen. The line: “Two lives have begun now, two hearts become one now! One passion, one dream, one thing forever true: I love you!” is one of the most adorable moments in the world. Man… I love this musical.
5. SCHWARZER PRINZ (“Dark Prince”) from ELISABETH – So this scene is adorable. It only loses points because when it sinks in that Sisi is singing with Death, it’s kinda like “Wait… what?” But nonetheless, this scene is adorable. And well… it just tugs at my heartstrings a little. I also love how Lucheni says “Es ist liebe!” (“It’s love!”). It really makes me think that der Tod (Death) did love Sisi and that Sisi also loved him. The argument could be made that Lucheni is an unreliable narrator but… I still think that this scene and song is utterly adorable.
6. NIE GESEH’N (“Never Seen”) from TANZ DER VAMPIRE – Alfred and Sarah are quite possibly two of the most utterly adorable musical characters ever. While It could easily be said that their meeting is awkward (beyond awkward, really), this song totally just makes up for all of the awkwardness and it’s really cute. Insta-love is not really a trope that I like in literature but when it comes to musicals, I generally give it a pass, especially in musicals like TANZ DER VAMPIRE that has a lot of different subplots going on besides the romance. Nonetheless, my point is that, insta-love or not, “Nie Geseh’n” is one of the cutest things in the world.
7. GARY INDIANA (Reprise[?]) from THE MUSIC MAN – So… for this song, I’m talking about it when it’s sung by Winthrop. And man… this song just makes me smile so much. I love this scene in the movie version a whole lot. Man… it just makes me happy. I think it’s so drop-dead adorable.
8. IT ONLY TAKES A MOMENT from HELLO, DOLLY! – So… at this point, we’ve just got through a really intense scene in which we’re just worried about Cornelius Hackl and Barnaby Tucker and what will come of them due to their inability to pay their bill in the restaurant. However, Cornelius sings this really adorable song to Irene about how “it only took a moment” for them to fall in love. And again, some insta-love, but again, I let it slide in musicals because well… time constriction and the like. Also, something about the music just makes the emotions so much more believable.
9. THE DANCE SCENE in “Dancing Through Life” from WICKED – Here, I’m talking about the part where Galinda jumps in and dances with Elphie when Elphie’s left dancing all on her own. Man… the first time I saw this scene, I just thought “Aww… that’s so cute!” and it’s still one of my favorite moments from WICKED to this day.
10. THE NEXT TEN MINUTES from THE LAST FIVE YEARS – THE LAST FIVE YEARS is not my go-to musical when I’m looking for cute moments. But… “The Next Ten Minutes” is definitely one of my favorite love songs in musical theatre. It’s just so cute and I love how the back-and-forth works in this scene.
So, that’s it for me! I’m surprised to find no LES MIZ on this list, actually but I had trouble thinking of just a cute song with nothing really tainting the cute aspect of it but I couldn’t think of one…
Anyways, what are some of your favorite cute moments from musicals that you just absolutely adore? Tschüss!