So, today, I’m going to settle for something nice and simple because my younger cousins are over and they seem to be wanting me to play basketball with them (that’s a disaster just waiting to happen). So… here’s my top fifteen favorite costumes in musical theatre! Los geht’s!
1. Christine’s Blue “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” Dress from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – PHANTOM has so many beautiful costumes and Christine on her own has so many beautiful costumes. But my personal favorite? This super beautiful, elegant blue dress that she wears during “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again”. As someone who cares a lot about historical accuracies when it comes to costumes, this costume just made me grin like an idiot. It’s perfect. In so many ways. Love, love, love it.
2. Christine’s “Think of Me” / Hannibal Dress from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – This is the first costume from PHANTOM that I saw that made me really go “Wow, that’s a beautiful costume.” And I’m still in love with how the quick transition is done by adding the big skirt to Christine’s ballet dress. Man… it’s just an awesome scene and this dress just makes it all the better.
3. The Phantom’s Sparkly Title Song Cape from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – This cape is pretty drop-dead awesome. While it’s something that some people in audiences of PHANTOM don’t really have an appreciation for, I think that fans who care about costume design and the small details really like this cape. And it’s stunning. I love how when the light catches it, the sequins shimmer and it’s so beautiful. Also, it’s a cape. Who doesn’t love capes?
4. Sisi’s “Wenn Ich Tanzen Will” Coronation Dress from ELISABETH – I love all of Sisi’s costumes. But when it comes to my absolute favorite? I’ve got to give it to the “Wenn Ich Tanzen Will” dress. It’s beautiful. And while it’s not an original design, it’s a beautiful replication. I love how the skirt swishes when Sisi moves around the stage throughout the scene. And the colors? The colors are absolutely stunning.
5. Sisi’s “Wie Du” Dress from ELISABETH – Sisi’s “Wie Du” dress is absolutely adorable and something that I’d probably wear if I could get my hands on a replica of it. To me, it just seems so… Sisi. It’s just right for her. It’s especially right for her in that scene, matching her playful attitude.
6. Sisi’s Nightgown / “Ich Gehör Nur Mir” / “Der Schleier Fällt” Dress from ELISABETH – While this dress may not be the type of dress that takes your breath away, it is certainly a dress that is right. It’s a dress that makes every scene it appears in somehow better and it just works with the set. In “Ich Gehör Nur Mir”, the white goes beautifully with the blue of the set. In “Der Schleier Fällt” it goes perfectly with the darkness of the stage. I love it.
7. Enjolras’s Red Vest from LES MISÉRABLES – While this vest isn’t technically historically accurate and it’s not something that Enjolras would probably ever have realistically worn, it’s a costume that I like enough to have a replica of that I wear every once in a while. Yep. I really do wear this vest out an about to places (much to the embarrassment of my younger brother). Anyways, this vest is not just awesome looking, it’s also really practical. For what? Well… for keeping track of wear Enjolras is. At the barricades, it’s easy to mix the barricade boys up. They essentially just are a unit. But Enjolras stands out with this red and gold vest and you can literally point him out and say “That’s him. He’s the leader.”
8. Fantine’s “I Dreamed a Dream” Dress from LES MISÉRABLES – There are so many things that I like about this costume. The little details are really what counts with this costume. The locket that Fantine wears and looks at. The little designs on the dress. The simplicity of the dress and yet the elegance of it. It’s just an overall amazing costume.
9. Rusty’s Costume from STARLIGHT EXPRESS – I could go on and on about the costumes from STARLIGHT EXPRESS. They’re phenomenal and quite frankly, revolutionary. Roller skates? Yes, please! Seriously, these costumes are awesome. But it was Rusty’s that I first fell in love with. It’s just so adorable. Man… I still smile when I look at this costume. Also, I have a lot of appreciation for the actors who wear this costume and skate around in it. It’s not a light costume and remember, these guys are doing tricks on skates in these things.
10. Glinda’s White Dress from WICKED – This dress is just so… classy. It’s a dress that I’d probably never wear even if I had it in my wardrobe but man… it’s a pretty dress. It’s really drop-dead pretty. It just feels so… Glinda in so many ways.
11. Glinda’s “Thank Goodness” Dress from WICKED – “Thank Goodness” is one of my favorite scenes from WICKED costume-wise. The costumes from “Thank Goodness” are just so… Oz-like in so many, many ways. Absolutely love, love, love it. But Glinda’s? Love it. I just love it and I don’t even know how to describe it.
12. Elphaba’s “As Long as You’re Mine” Dress from WICKED – I’ll be the first to admit that while “As Long as You’re Mine” is an interesting, highly important scene in WICKED, it’s not one of my favorite scenes. At all. But nonetheless, Elphie’s dress here is absolutely beautiful. Again, it’s the little details.
13. Ballet Costumes from SCHIKANEDER – Now… here, I’m specifically talking about the men’s ballet costumes in this scene (not that the women’s ballet costumes aren’t awesome but…). There’s just something about those costumes that are so… cute in a way. I don’t know how to describe it, really. But they’re adorable and I love them.
14. Count Krolock’s Costume from TANZ DER VAMPIRE – Now, as is always the case, when I’m talking about TANZ DER VAMPIRE I’m talking about the Austrian and German productions, not the Broadway production. Count Krolock’s costumes is absolutely stunning. The details are phenomenal. The cape is unbelievably beautiful. Just everything about it is awesome. And… let’s just not talk about his costume in the Broadway production…
15. Sarah’s Red “Totale Finsternis” / Ball Dress from TANZ DER VAMPIRE – Yet another stunning costume. Just beautiful. The red, the ruffles. The design. Everything about this dress is enough to make me just get excited about it. Man… I love it. I love it so much. It’s just so fitting for the scene, you know?
So, what are your favorite costumes from musical theatre? Tschüss!