Guten Morgen, leute!
Hey, everybody! Sorry about not posting for two days! Es tut mir leid! I ended up not having access to my laptop as I’d left it at home when I went on that road trip with my family. However, due to having a lot of time to think, I got to thinking: What are my all-time favorite musical theatre songs? And while I know that it is definitely going to be difficult, narrowing it down to a top 15 (that’s what I’m limiting myself to because otherwise it wouldn’t be nearly as fun), I think that I’m going to enjoy this quite a bit! Los geht’s!
1. “Der Schleier fällt” [The Veil Descends] from ELISABETH
2. “Ich gehör nur mir” [I Belong to Me] from ELISABETH
3. “Empty Chairs at Empty Tables” from LES MISÉRABLES
4. “Bring Him Home” from LES MISÉRABLES
5. “For Good” from WICKED
6. “With One Look” from SUNSET BOULEVARD
7. “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
8. “Tell Me On a Sunday” from SONG AND DANCE
9. “Corner of the Sky” from PIPPIN
10. “Memory” from CATS
11. “Grizabella, the Glamour Cat” from CATS
12. “Too Much in Love to Care” from SUNSET BOULEVARD
13. “Wenn ich tanzen will” [If I Want to Dance] from ELISABETH
14. “Draußen ist Freiheit” [Out There is Freedom] from TANZ DER VAMPIRE
15. “G.E.K.U.P.P.E.L.T.” [U.N.C.O.U.P.L.E.D.] from STARLIGHT EXPRESS
Of course, there are a lot more songs that I love from musical theatre. But I think that this is (probably) my top 15. It was really tough to narrow it down this far! There were so many that I thought should be on this list but I just didn’t want to take out another song.
What determined what songs landed a spot on this list? Well… I’d say that it greatly depended on the impression that these songs have left on me. All of these songs are songs that make me really reflect and think. All of these songs have some sort of strong emotional appeal to me whether it’s a sad emotion or a happy emotion. And I think that most of these songs have taught me something about myself.
With “Der Schleier fällt”, I’ve really learned more about my love of history from the words “Die Welt such vergebens denn sinn meines lebens. Den ich gehör nur mir.” [The world is searching in vain for the meaning of my life because I belong to me.] With “G.E.K.U.P.P.E.L.T.”, I feel like I’ve learned more about my own inner strength.
On this list there are also songs that I feel a connection to, being able to see myself in it. “Ich gehör nur mir”, “Draußen ist Freiheit”, “Corner of the Sky”, “For Good”, and “G.E.K.U.P.P.E.L.T.” would be those songs.
On this list there are also some songs that were the first songs that I fell in love with from a musical. For me, those songs would be “Wenn ich tanzen will”, “Tell Me On a Sunday”, “Too Much in Love to Care”, “Memory”, and “Corner of the Sky”.
There are many reasons for which a song can become meaningful and important to a person. Which musical songs would you say are your favorites? Vielen dank und tschüss!