Hallo und wilkommen alles!
So, I’ve been sitting here, scratching my head (well… not really), and wondering what on earth I should write a post about today. And well, I thought that today, I’d do a bit of something I kind of have done before but switch it up a little. I’ve talked a little about my favorite heartbreaking / tearjerker songs from musicals but I’ve never done this on the lyrical level (at least that I can remember). So, that’s what I’ll be doing today! My top 15 lyrics from musicals that move me to tears / break my heart! Los geht’s!
1. “Rudolf, wo bist du? Hörst du mich rufen? Du warst wie ich—du hast mich gebraucht. Ich ließ dich im Stich, um mich zu befrei’n. Wie kannst du mir je verzeih’n? Ich hab’ versagt… Ich trag die Schuld…” [Rudolf, where are you? Can you hear me calling? You were like me—you needed me. I hung you out to dry in order to free myself. How can you ever forgive me? I fell short… I’m to blame.] from “Rudolf, wo bist du? / Totenklage” [Rudolf, Where Are You / Death Sentence] from ELISABETH
2. “When I hold your hand, all my fears are in the past, but when I let go, do you promise they’ll be fast?” from “Finale / I Can’t Recall [Reprise]” from A TALE OF TWO CITIES
3. “And yet, dolls can be beautiful… they live within a different world, so easy on the eyes… but careful not to touch! It wouldn’t do for you to touch or come too close at all…” from “Reflection” from A TALE OF TWO CITIES
4. “Ich möchte mal so sein wie du.” [I want to be just like you.] from “Wie Du” [Like You] from ELISABETH
5. “Don’t run off in the pouring rain, don’t call me as they call your plane, take the hurt out of all the pain… Take me to a park that’s covered with trees, tell me on a Sunday please.” from “Tell Me on a Sunday” from SONG AND DANCE
6. “Flieh und du bist frei sein und alles Kämpfen wird vorbei sein.” [Flee and you will be free and all the fighting will be over.] from “Elisabeth, mach auf” [Elisabeth, Open Up] from ELISABETH
7. “Without me, his world will go on turning, a world that’s full of happiness that I have never known!” from “On My Own” from LES MISÉRABLES
8. “We are home, we are where we shall be forever. Trust in me, for you know I won’t run away… from today, this is all that I need and all that I need to say. Don’t you know how you’ve changed me? Strange how I finally see I am home, you’re my home! Stay with me…” from “End Duet / Transformation from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
9. “It’s the story of those who always loved you: your mother gave her life for you and gave you to my keeping.” from “Finale / Do You Hear the People Sing [Reprise]” from LES MISÉRABLES
10. “And remember the truth that once was spoken: to love another person is to see the face of God.” from “Finale / Do You Hear the People Sing [Reprise]” from LES MISÉRABLES
11. “No words can tell the stories my eyes tell, Watch me when I frown, you can’t write that down! You know I’m right, it’s there in black and white. When I look your way, you’ll hear what I say. Yes, with one look, I put words to shame. Just one look sets the screen aflame. Silent music starts to play, One tear in my eye makes the whole world cry.” from “With One Look” from SUNSET BOULEVARD
12. “Touch me it’s so easy to leave me All alone with my memory Of my days in the sun If you touch me You’ll understand what happiness is Look a new day has begun.” from “Memory” from CATS
13. “I was there but too late, out of sight, out of mind!” from “The Tale” from A TALE OF TWO CITIES
14. “When I walk the tightrope, don’t stop me, just let me try. I want to take chances, find out what it takes to fly…” from the English translation of “Ich gehör nur mir”, “I Belong to Me” from ELISABETH
15. “I’m here when you need me, I’ll live and I’ll die with you. I’ll share all your troubles, I’ll laugh and I’ll cry with you. You can blame me and bless me, but you cannot possess me because I belong to me!” from the English translation of “Ich gehör nur mir”, “I Belong to Me” from ELISABETH
And that’s it for me! What are some of your favorite tearjerker / heartbreaking lines from musicals? Vielen dank und tschüss!