Guten Morgen, leute!Today, I’m going to be doing something a little… different. I’ve picked out five of my favorite musicals (LES MISÉRABLES, ELISABETH, SCHIKANEDER, WICKED, and PHANTOM) and I decided to give some book recommendations for each one. A kind of “If you liked ________, you might like ___________!” sort of thing! Hopefully this is interesting for you all! Los geht’s!
· OLIVER TWIST by Charles Dickens – A classic novel on the struggles of the poor in London (Victorian Era) and general struggles of life.
· A TALE OF TWO CITIES by Charles Dickens – A classic novel about the French Revolution and the struggles of Sydney Carton, Lucie Manette, and Charles Darnay.
· FIRE BY NIGHT by Lyn Austen – A historical fiction novel taking place during Civil War.
· THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak – A novel on WWII, narrated by Death himself.
· ANASTASIA’S SECRET by Susanne Dunlap – A historical fiction novel about the life of Anastasia Romanov, Grand Duchess of Russia.
· FRIDAY’S CHILD by Georgette Heyer – A classic historical regency romantic comedy about two youngsters who run away and get married and find themselves getting into trouble in London (One of my absolute favorites!)
· MY LADY JANE by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows, and Brodi Ashton – A historical fiction romantic comedy about Lady Jane Grey.
· PRIDE AND PREJUDICE by Jane Austen – A classic Georgian-era novel about love, especially that of the slow-burn, “barely even friends” variety.
· SENSE AND SENSIBILITY by Jane Austen – Classic Georgian-era novel about two very different sisters finding love and finding the importance of family.
· FRIDAY’S CHILD by Georgette Heyer – Already mentioned this one but it’s worth mentioning again! It’s a wonderfully fun novel!
· THE LUNAR CHRONICLES by Marissa Meyer – A series of fairytale retellings in science fiction fashion!
· JACKABY by William Ritter – A series of historical fiction mystery books with a bit of a fantastical twist!
· THE CROWN’S GAME by Evelyn Skye – A book about two enchanters competing to become the Tsar’s own Imperial Enchanter in a game of magic.
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
· A SCHOOL FOR UNSUAL GIRLS and EXILE FOR DREAMERS by Kathleen Baldwin – A historical fiction (Napoleonic era) series dealing with a girl’s school which trains its pupils to be spies!
· THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY by Oscar Wilde – A classic novel about a man who, in his vanity wishes that he might remain young forever and, in doing so, brings upon himself the curse of his portrait aging with every cruel thing he does.
That’s it for me today! Would you all be interested in a list of some of my favorite books one of these days? What are some books you’d recommend based off of your favorite musicals? Danke schön und tschüss!