Hallo, leute! So, yesterday, I was listening to A TALE OF TWO CITIES for the first time in a really long time and I really, really, for the first time, really listened to “Let Her Be a Child” and I rediscovered what a beautiful song it is! So, today, I thought that I’d talk about the songs from musical theatre that are so very beautiful but oftentimes get overlooked!
· “Let Her Be a Child” from A TALE OF TWO CITIES – I absolutely adore this song and I can’t believe that I paid it very little attention before. It’s such an amazing song and man, it gets me tearing up… it’s so perfect. I love it. I really, really love it.
· “Bring Him Home” from LES MISÉRABLES – While I wouldn’t say that “Bring Him Home” is the most underrated song on this list, I think that it oftentimes gets overlooked by fans. It’s such a powerful, moving song, so I’ve always thought that that was a shame.
· “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – I feel like “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again” doesn’t get nearly enough credit. It’s a very emotional song and really, to me, shows the peak of the emotional force of the musical. I think that mostly amongst fans of the musical it gets attention, but the world as a whole doesn’t recognize it.
· “Elisabeth, mach auf” [Elisabeth, Open Up] from ELISABETH – I am guilty of overlooking this song initially, but now, I can barely imagine not loving this song as much as I do now. I can’t even believe that I overlooked it in the first place! This one’s another emotional piece and really seems to be the climax of Act I.
· “Boote in der Nacht” [Ships in the Night] from ELISABETH – This song is one that I feel people don’t talk about nearly enough. It’s a really important song and I think that it really speaks to why Sisi was so unhappy in life and in her marriage. It’s also in this scene that I feel like it is easiest to connect to Franz Joseph, but maybe that’s just me.
· “No One Mourns the Wicked” from WICKED – For an opening song, I feel like “No One Mourns the Wicked” is shockingly overlooked. It’s the song that really lays the footwork for everything else that follows so I think that it’s greatly important. I also think that it’s one of the best songs from the musical!
· “Nie Gesehen” [Never Seen] from TANZ DER VAMPIRE – When I first joined the fandom for this musical, I was surprised that more people weren’t talking about what a great song “Nie Gesehen” is. It’s such a great song and I absolutely adore it!
· “Einladung zum Ball” from TANZ DER VAMPIRE – I’d say that the scene itself isn’t overlooked nearly as much as the song. The scene’s a pretty famous one. After all, it’s quite a beautiful scene and it’s only right that it gets its due recognition. But the song itself is oftentimes overlooked, I think! And to me, that’s kinda sad because this was the song that really got me into this musical!
· “A Change in Me” from BEAUTY AND THE BEAST – “A Change in Me” was the first song from the stage version of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST that I really took notice of when I first watched it. However, I must say that it’s pretty understandable why this song so often gets overlooked. After all, it’s not on the Broadway cast recording. Nonetheless, it’s a beautiful song!
· “I’m A Part of That” from THE LAST FIVE YEARS – In the midst of all of the many things going on in THE LAST FIVE YEARS, I feel like “I’m A Part of That” oftentimes gets lost. And that’s such a shame because it’s such an amazing song that really speaks to much of Cathy’s predicament.
· “So viele Fische ins Meer” [So Many Fish in the Sea] from SCHIKANEDER – When most people think of SCHIKANEDER, I think that the first song that probably comes to mind is “Träum Groß” [Dream Big]. And that’s completely understandable! It’s a great song! However, I think that this song definitely deserves more recognition!
· “Finale / I Can’t Recall [Reprise]” from A TALE OF TWO CITIES – This finale definitely doesn’t get enough credit! It’s an absolutely amazing song and I definitely wish that more people recognized how beautiful it is!
And that’s it for me! I hope that you all have a really great weekend! What songs do you think are underrated and/or get overlooked? Vielen dank und tschüss!