Hallo, Leute! Sorry I’ve been posting so late in the day recently! I’ve been really busy with school and stuff like that! For today, I thought that I’d talk a little about my favorite songs from Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals! They’ve written some of my all-time favorite musicals so this should be a pretty good list! Los geht’s!
1. “In My Own Little Corner” from CINDERELLA – I think that if I had to pick just one favorite Rogers and Hammerstein song, it’d have to be “In My Own Little Corner.” It’s been a song that I’ve loved since childhood and I really can’t imagine my life without this song. It’s a song that I really do connect to and I think that it’s in general just a really relatable song to me.
2. “Climb Every Mountain” from THE SOUND OF MUSIC – One of the songs from THE SOUND OF MUSIC that I always cry when I hear and absolutely fell in love with the first time I watched it, was “Climb Every Mountain.” I absolutely adore this song and it definitely has one of the strongest messages from musical theatre that I’ve ever come across.
3. “Something Wonderful” from THE KING AND I – I’ll be the first to admit that THE KING AND I is not my favorite Rodgers and Hammerstein. Overall, I was kinda “meh” about it, but one song that I absolutely adored was this one. I think that it definitely does show the King in a more positive light and helps the audience (and Anna) to understand him better.
4. “You’ll Never Walk Alone” from CAROUSEL – This song is one of the most powerful that I’ve ever heard in my whole life. It’s a song that always makes me cry when I hear it. I don’t really know what more I can say about it… but it’s a great song and I highly recommend y’all listen to it if you’ve never listened to it before!
5. “Edelweiss” from THE SOUND OF MUSIC – “Edelweiss” is a great song from THE SOUND OF MUSIC. One of my favorite things about it is the new staging of the song. Another interesting fact is that the Edelweiss is a national symbol of Switzerland (which [spoiler alert] is where the family flees to). The song is such a touching, heartfelt one and I love listening to it.
6. “Do I Love You Because You’re Beautiful?” from CINDERELLA – As a kid, love songs always made me cringe in a very exaggerated manner. (Even today, I feel the need to look away when a love song is sung. I’m weird, I know!) But this was one song that, even whilst looking away, I’d always cling to every word. It was that powerful of a song to me and I think that this song, really laid the foundation for what I interpret love to be, even now.
7. “Oh What a Beautiful Morning” from OKLAHOMA – This song is just a really happy, uplifting song that I love listening to. It’s easy to listen to and it never ceases to make me smile. It’s a song that I love listening to on road trips and early in the morning. It’s just perfect for that sort of thing!
8. “The Sound of Music” from THE SOUND OF MUSIC – How could I not mention this ever so iconic song from musical theatre? I think that, as a kid, this was quite possibly the song that I thought of when people brought up musical theatre to me. It’s a song that holds a lot of memories and I still get nostalgic whenever I hear it!
9. “The Sweetest Sounds” from CINDERELLA – Even today, “The Sweetest Sounds” is one of my favorite opening songs from any musical ever. It’s a great, great song and I absolutely adore it. This is a song that I love much more now than I did as a kid (although I did love it back then too), probably because I now understand it more and can thus appreciate it more.
10. “Ten Minutes Ago” from CINDERELLA – “Ten Minutes Ago” is a song that just makes me smile thinking about it. It was one of the first songs from CINDERELLA that I ever fell in love with and to this day, I can’t help but think of this song when CINDERELLA (or Rodgers and Hammerstein) is mentioned!
And that’s it for me! What are your favorite Rogers and Hammerstein tunes? Vielen Dank und tschüss!