Hallo, leute! The Golden Age of Broadway started in 1943 and lasted until about 1959. That’s over a decade! And, as you might expect, many great musicals were made within that time. So, today, I’m going to be talking about some of my favorite Golden Age of Broadway songs! Los geht’s!
1. “You’ll Never Walk Alone” from CAROUSEL (1945)
2. “In My Own Little Corner” from CINDERELLA (1957)
3. “Climb Ev’ry Mountain” from THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1959)
4. “Anything You Can Do” from ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (1946)
5. “Impossible / It’s Possible” from CINDERELLA (1957)
6. “Goodnight My Someone” from THE MUSIC MAN (1957)
7. “Marian the Librarian” from THE MUSIC MAN (1957)
8. “Stepsister’s Lament” from CINDERELLA (1957)
9. “Lovely Night” from CINDERELLA (1957)
10. “Edelweiss” from THE SOUND OF MUSIC
All of these are songs that I’ve loved since childhood. Most on this list are Rodgers and Hammerstein stuff but that’s mostly because I primarily grew up with Rodgers and Hammerstein. Of all of the musicals on this list, if I could only pick two favorites, I’d have to pick CINDERELLA and THE MUSIC MAN. Why? Well… because of the sentimental value they have with my family.
CINDERELLA was always grandpa’s favorite musical and to this day, it reminds me of him. He passed away when I was still really young and this musical is one of the only things that I truly remember about him. Due to this reason, I try to keep this musical as close to my heart as possible and really, it’s not that difficult. It’s one of my favorite musicals of all time and I definitely think that it will remain that way for a really long time.
As for THE MUSIC MAN, well, THE MUSIC MAN is my dad’s favorite musical of all time and I remember bonding over it when I was small. To this day, it’s still one of our favorite musicals to listen to and watch.
And that’s it for me! What are your favorite Golden Age musicals and songs? Vielen Dank und tschüss!
Oh, and just one more thing: I may not be able to post tomorrow due to a state competition I have to compete in tomorrow! But I will try to post if at all possible! Hope everyone has a great weekend!