Hallo, Leute! I hope everyone’s doing well today! Today, I thought that I’d do a quick list of my favorite big musical theatre songs! That’s a pretty broad statement but los geht’s!
1. “Ich gehör nur mir” [I Belong to Me] from ELISABETH – This song is the “I Want” song to top all “I Want” songs, in my opinion. It goes over every single wish Sisi’s ever had. It goes over everything she wants from the future. It’s the theme of ELISABETH and man, it’s a beautiful song!
2. “Träum groß” [Dream Big] from SCHIKANEDER – A recurring theme in this list is, as you will find, the abundance of “I Want” songs. This one is yet another of those. And what can I say? “I Want” songs tend to be the big songs in musical theatre! But man, this one is one of my favorites. All it took was one listen and I was head-over-heels in love with this musical!
3. “Do You Hear the People Sing?” from LES MISÉRABLES – I remember “Do You Hear the People Sing?” as being the first song from LES MIZ that I fell in love with. Chances are that, if I hadn’t fallen in love with this song, I wouldn’t love LES MIZ as much as I do now. And that’s a tough life for me to imagine.
4. “I Dreamed a Dream” from LES MISÉRABLES – So, this song is one of what I would call the most important songs in musical theatre. This is a song that is known throughout the world and man, it’s with good cause. I absolutely adore this song and you’ll be hard pressed to find many people who dislike this song.
5. “A Musical” from SOMETHING ROTTEN! – So, this song is the epitome of “huge musical and dance number”. The first time I saw this scene, my jaw literally dropped and I jumped to my feet and applauded. Seriously. A showstopper found in the middle of Act I is not something that you find every day. I’m not kidding. This scene is amazing.
6. “As Long As He Needs Me” from OLIVER! – Another song that most people have heard at least once in their life is “As Long As He Needs Me” from OLIVER!. It may very well be that this song is not the most known from the musical, but man, it definitely ought to be one of the most well-known. It’s a phenomenal song, full of feeling.
7. “In My Own Little Corner” from CINDERELLA – Hey, more “I Want” songs! Yup! This song is the song that I grew up listening to every single day. I never, ever get tired of it to this day. It’s the song that I happily blame for the daydreamer that I’ve become.
8. “With One Look” from SUNSET BOULEVARD – This song is one of the songs that I can’t believe more people don’t know about. It’s one of those beautiful, majestic, dramatic songs that is a staple of musical theatre. In absolutely classical Broadway musical fashion, we see Norma Desmond singing about her glory days and the days of glory she hopes to see ahead of her.
9. “Defying Gravity” from WICKED – Want a big Act I closer? “Defying Gravity” is the perfect song for you. While “Defying Gravity” was a song that I was initially kind of apathetic about, I now see the error in my ways and love this song. It’s a beautiful song and man, it’s a perfect Act I closer. At least, that’s what I think.
10. “Memory” from CATS – Many people would consider “Memory” to be the greatest song to ever grace the musical theatre stage. And well, at least for me, it’s hard not to agree. “Memory” has always been a song that I consider to be absolutely beautiful. I just adore this song and man, it definitely is a beautiful song.
So, that’s it for me! What are your favorite “big” musical theatre songs? Vielen Dank und tschüss!