Guten Tag, Leute! I hope that you’re all doing well! It’s been a pretty hectic week for me but I’m glad that it’s finally Friday! For today, I thought that I’d talk about some of my favorite costumes in musical theatre! Recently, I’ve been working on character profiles and outlining for the new novel that I’m writing and so I’ve been looking at a lot of costumes for a little bit of an idea as to what the characters would be wearing based off of the time period. So, here’s my top ten favorite costumes in musical theatre!
1. Eleonore’s dress from SCHIKANEDER – Unfortunately, I’ve never been able to see SCHIKANEDER so I’m not sure what scene this dress appears in. However, you can probably see what dress I’m talking about from the picture below. I think that this dress is absolutely gorgeous. It’s got a sort of special feel to it in a way. I think that it might have something to do with how the colors are arranged. Nonetheless, the colors are beautiful and really seem to bring out Eleonore’s personality and emotions!
2. Christine’s Hannibal Ballet Outfit from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – This was, as I remember, the first costume from PHANTOM that I really fell in love with. I especially love the German version of these costumes and the slight cinching in of the waist that it does! The costumes just really pop and are a lot of fun!
3. Enjolras’ vest from LES MISÉRABLES – I literally am obsessed with this vest. This vest, I think, really symbolizes who Enjolras is not just as himself but also who he is to the rebellion and the students. This vest very effectively makes Enjolras stand out in the midst of the other students.
4. Cosette’s blue dress from LES MISÉRABLES – I remember when I first saw the stage costumes for LES MIZ that this was the first costume that really caught my eye and stunned me. I love its simplicity as well as its youthful air. It really is a beautiful dress that I feel represents Cosette very well.
5. Boq’s Shiz Uniform from WICKED – I talk a lot about Glinda and Elphie’s costumes but I never talk about Boq’s costume despite loving it a lot. I think that it’s just a really adorable costume—especially the hat! I don’t know… there’s also just a sort of element of quirkiness to it that I really like as well!
6. Sisi’s nightgown from ELISABETH – This dress is the most simple of all of the costumes on this list but I love it all the same. It’s one of the most beautiful, symbolic pieces that I’ve ever seen. While the nightgown may not be anything especially extraordinary, it’s extraordinariness comes from how iconic, how emotional this dress is.
7. Der Tod’s costumes from ELISABETH – One of the reasons I fell in love with ELISABETH is that it makes very good use of symbolism and imagery. In ELISABETH, Death himself is a character and he has two costumes: a white one and a black one. When someone first starts getting into ELISABETH, they may think that the scenes in which der Tod wears the white one and the black one are alternating or maybe even random—that’s what I thought at first—but as one gets more familiar with the show, it becomes evident that der Tod wears white when he’s being seen as a friend and a sort of love interest of Sisi’s but he wears black when she sees him as her enemy. The symbolism in this is one of my favorite things in the world.
8. Sisi’s “Wenn ich tanzen will” dress from ELISABETH – This dress is one of the most extravagant dresses that I have ever seen in my life. And it’s fitting. It’s a coronation dress and man, it’s beautiful. The crispness of the blue mixing with the lacy yellow is absolutely gorgeous. But I also love how it moves as well. In “Wenn ich tanzen will”, there’s a bit of choreography going on and I love how the dress swishes with every movement Sisi makes.
9. Sarah’s “Totale Finsternis” dress from TANZ DER VAMPIRE – This dress is just absolutely gorgeous and makes me so giddy whenever I see it. It perfectly demonstrates Sarah’s entire journey throughout the show and just really brings the show and the characters to life, I think!
10. Christine’s Star Princess costume from THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA – I adore this costume, but it really takes a well done version of the dress for me to really love it. I think that I’ve found my favorite version of the dress in the Oberhausen production. It’s absolutely gorgeous and I just love how pretty it is!
So, those are some of my favorite costumes! What are yours? Vielen Dank und tschüss!