Hallo, Leute! Hope that you all had a really good weekend! For today I thought that I’d do a little bit of a recommendation post! I thought that I’d talk about musicals that I think are underrated and recommend a few songs that I think that people should listen to if they’re interested in the musical! Okay, los geht’s!
1. OLIVER! – This is a really great musical and while I think that a lot of people know about it, I think that it’s overall pretty underappreciated. It’s full of memorable characters and great songs and wonderful dance numbers and I definitely think that it’s one that everyone should give a shot at least once!
· “As Long as He Needs Me” – This song that Nancy sings is absolutely gorgeous and I definitely think that it’s one of the best unrequited love songs that I’ve ever come across. It’s so full of heart and feeling and I think that it characterizes Nancy perfectly.
· “Reviewing the Situation” – Sure, Fagin’s a bad guy but the musical definitely makes him a comical villain and I actually quite like that characterization of him. It definitely does illustrate nicely the difference between Fagin and Sikes. In “Reviewing the Situation” we see Fagin thinking about turning his life around but in the end he decides that it’s the villain’s life for him.
· “Where is Love?” – This one’s a heartbreaking one sung by Oliver at the beginning of the musical and it always makes me tear up a little. I absolutely love this song and I think that it does a really good job at making the audience feel connected to Oliver.
· “Fine Life” – This was one of the first songs from OLIVER! that I ever fell in love with and it was the song that made me fall in love with Nancy’s character. It shows Nancy’s overall optimism and it’s just a great scene to watch.
2. PIPPIN – I’m so glad to say that this musical’s been getting a lot more attention in more recent years but still, I’d say that it’s on the “underrated” spectrum. It’s a great story about discovering what life is really about and I definitely love all of the circus elements that go a long with it. It’s just one of those musicals that’s entrancing to watch.
· “Corner of the Sky” – This is one of the songs that I just immediately fell in love with from PIPPIN. Right from the beginning the audience can connect to Pippin from this song and I think that that’s something that makes a great song.
· “In Just No Time At All” – In the revival production of PIPPIN this is an awesome, awesome scene to watch. It’s just a lot of fun and overall it’s a pretty catchy song!
· “Magic to Do” – I love everything that goes into this song when you watch it on stage. It’s just entrancing and introduces the setting perfectly! Really, this scene just told me that I was in for an awesome show!
3. SOMETHING ROTTEN! – This is the perfect musical for die-hard musical fans. It’s riddled with musical theatre references and it’s really hilarious. It’s full of great musical jokes and overall it’s just a lot of fun. I definitely would say that this is my favorite new musical.
· “Right Hand Man” – This song is just one that really can make a person smile. I smiled and grinned my way through this song the first time I listened to it. Man, I love it! Not to mention that Heidi Blickenstaff’s voice is super amazing!
· “To Thine Own Self (Reprise)” – This is probably one of the most emotional songs in the musical and I love how much character growth we get to see from Nick in this scene!
· “I Love the Way” – This song has become one of my favorite love songs of all time. It’s just super adorable and I love how Nigel and Portia are just geeking out about all of the literature things that they love. It’s a super sweet song and I just can’t get enough of it!
· “Welcome to the Renaissance” – This song is probably one of the best opening songs that I’ve ever come across. Right from the start it sets the general tone of the whole musical and it’s a lot of fun!
· “It’s a Musical” – Yep, this one’s a literal showstopper and it’s easy to understand why! If you’re a musical fan, I definitely recommend you listen to this song. It’s full of musical theatre references and man, it’s a thrill to watch this performed!
4. ELISABETH – While this is a German language musical you can find some of the songs performed in English! It’s a touching story about the life of Elisabeth (Sisi), Empress of Austria. It’s got unique characters and a really, really memorable storyline. The songs are also a lot of fun. For today, I’ll be recommending some of the songs that you can find in English (but I’ll write the German name in parenthesis as some of the English versions are fanmade [but still well done])! This is one of my absolute favorite musicals of all time and I just can’t get enough of it!
· “I Belong to Me” [Ich gehör nur mir] – This song has been sung in English professionally several times and it’s absolutely beautiful. I love this song so much as it was the song that originally introduced me to ELISABETH. Here, I’ll leave a video of Mirusia Louwerse singing it in English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-615vSuAN4
· “When I Want to Dance” [Wenn ich tanzen will] – This was fanmade but it’s actually one of my favorite of the English translated songs out there. It’s a song that’s really catchy and I’ve always thought of this as being one of my favorite songs from the musical! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7WKlSISLFU
· “The Shades of Night” [Die Schatten werden länger] – The lyrics don’t flow as well in English but I think that it still work pretty well! Here’s a link to the video if you’re interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIEi44oRkeI
5. SUNSET BOULEVARD – With the Broadway revival, I think that SUNSET BOULEVARD has begun to get more recognition and I couldn’t be happier! It’s such a wonderful musical and has some of the most beautiful songs from musical theatre that I’ve ever come across!
· “With One Look” – I absolutely adore this song. It’s so full of emotion and really works to make the audience connect with Norma’s character. It’s just such an elegant song and I love it!
· “Too Much in Love to Care” – This might very well be my favorite love song of all time. This song is just so cute and I love it so much! It’s such a beautiful song and I don’t really know what more I can say about it!
6. A TALE OF TWO CITIES – This musical is stunning and I can’t believe that it isn’t more well known. Its songs are all so gorgeous and full of feeling. The characters are amazing. I just love everything about it!
· “I Can’t Recall” – It’s awesome to see this change in Sydney’s character. I remember that when my dad first watched the concert DVD of this musical he was pretty sure that he was going to detest Sydney’s character but after this song Sydney Carton became one of my dad’s favorite characters of all time and I think that says something about this song.
· “Reflection” – Before hearing this song I didn’t think that any portrayal of Sydney Carton could really pinpoint his character. But this song nailed it. I’m serious. It captures Sydney perfectly.
· “Out of Sight Out of Mind” – Natalie Toro’s vocals in this song are amazing. She portrays Madame Defarge perfectly and this song is overall really powerful and intense!
· “Let Her Be A Child” – This song is forever making me cry. I just can’t help but feel overwhelmed with emotions when I hear this song. It’s just wonderfully written and overall is such a beautiful song.
· “Never Say Goodbye” – Lucie’s emotions here are wonderfully portrayed and I love it! It’s a song that I fell in love with the first time that I heard it! I just thought that it was wonderfully well done!
· “Finale / I Can’t Recall (Reprise)” – Most people are aware of how A TALE OF TWO CITIES ends. And this song captures it perfectly. When I watched this with my family, all of us were crying by the end and I think that says so much about this song!
Okie dokie! That’s it for me! What underrated musicals would you highly recommend to people? What songs are your favorites? Vielen Dank und tschüss!