Hallo, Leute! Us musical theatre fans hear about characters like Christine Daaé, Elphaba, Enjolras, Jean Valjean, and etc. all of the time. But what about the characters who are generally overlooked? Today, I thought that I’d do a little post about characters from musical theatre whom I think are under appreciated! Los geht’s!
- Raoul de Chagny – I talk about Raoul a lot mostly because I think that he is a guy that is so underrated and that he deserves so much more credit than he gets. To be honest, I think that Raoul is one of the sweetest characters in musical theatre. Really the only reason I’ve ever seen people state for hating him is because they wish that Christine ended up with the Phantom. But really, that’s no reason to hate on Raoul!
- Fantine – Of all the characters in LES MISÉRABLES, I think that Fantine would be the most underrated aside from Marius and Cosette. But, I think that for this post today I’d like to just focus in on Fantine. Fantine really only is in the first part of Act I and at the very end of Act II, but in so many ways her part in the story is one of the most important. Without Fantine there really wouldn’t be altogether that much of a story to be told. And, not to mention that, in my opinion, Fantine’s love for Cosette is definitely one of the most phenomenally portrayed loves in musical theatre.
- Sydney Carton – The reason as to why Sydney is underrated is actually pretty understandable–after all the musical version of A TALE OF TWO CITIES isn’t altogether that well known. But all the same, I will continue to insist that Sydney deserves so much more credit than he receives. In my opinion, he’s got some of the best songs in musical theatre and his sacrifice and great ability to love really make him a really wonderful character.
- Dolly Levi – One of my favorte things about Dolly is how cheerful, kind, and energetic she is. She’s always smiling and has this great ability to make everyone around her smile. It really is contagious! She also has this great love of helping people and I love that about her!
- Nancy – I think it’s such a shame that people don’t talk about Nancy all that much. She’s such a wondeful character who is full of so much optimism, love, and kindness. She was actually the first musical character that I ever really fell in love with. I always thought that she was such a strong girl and full of so much life! I love how much she cared for Oliver. I love how she even put herself in danger so that Oliver could have a better life.
- Rusty – For as long as I’ve loved STARLIGHT EXPRESS, I’ve loved Rusty. Rusty is one of those characters that is so easy to relate to. He just wants to , for once in his life, be regarded as more than the rusty steam train that he is. He doesn’t let the other trains’ name-calling and harrassment get him down. He just gets right back up again and continues to work towards what he wants.
Which characters from musical theatre do you think deserve more credit? Vielen Dank und tschüss!