Guten Tag, Leute! I would have posted a few hours ago if it weren’t for the fact that I felt the need to read! What am I reading? None other than the second book in J.K. Rowling’s well-renowned Harry Potter Series, The Chamber of Secrets! It seems like forever since I did my last reread of these books (it must’ve been at least 4 years ago) and, since then I’ve developed a much more critical stance to reading. I was worried, at first, that this habit of being very critical about things might make me lose my love for the series. But, after reading The Sorcerer’s Stone in one sitting last night, I realized that this wasn’t going to be the case. In fact, I’m enjoying it a lot. Having grown up a lot since I last visited J.K. Rowling’s world of wizards and magic, I’m picking up on so much more than I did last time. As much as I am enjoying myself, I am also picking up on slight annoyances. Nothing to make me despise the series or anything; just really slight things. So, I thought that I’d go over some of these things today! Los geht’s!
- Percy Weasley – I think that I can safely say that Percy Weasley is my least favorite Weasley. He always was, to be completely honest. But… I must say that he’s the Weasley I’m most interested in this time ’round. Why? Because, something I read made me ask myself this question: Why was Percy Weasley sorted into Gryffindor? Perhaps some of you know where I’m going eith this. On page 58 of The Chamber of Secrets Ron says “’Course, he’s really ambitious, Percy, he’s got it all planned out… He wants to be Minister of Magic…” Now, perhaps, you know where I’m headed with this? Gryffindor is the house that generally takes those that are “brave at heart.” Slytherin is the house that is most commonly associated with ambition. Personally I really like the idea of Percy being a Slytherin! I’m planning a whole post on this subject for either tomorrow or Tuesday so stay tuned!
- Slytherin House – While we’re talking about Slytherin, I thought that I’d touch on this subject briefly. Rereading has made me realize just how brutally Slytherins are portrayed in (at least the first half of) the series. J.K. Rowling always talks about how Slytherin is not a “bad” house full of evil wizards and witches. But it’s pretty easy to understand why so many people think that. After all, Slytherins are portrayed to be a pretty evil lot. Of course, we know that not all Slytherins are “evil” but I kinda found this amusing. I’m a Slytherin myself, so maybe that’s why?
- Dumbledore – After going years without reading the books and only having watched the movies throughout that time, I’d completely forgotten how different book Dumbledore is from movie Dumbledore. I don’t know… that just made me smile a bit.
- Having grown up a little – I grew up going to a small school. In my elementary school, there couldn’t have been more than 150 kids. It was during my elementary school years that I originally read the books and, well, it was hard for me to relate to Harry going to such a big school, filled with so many people. While my high school wasn’t much bigger, my high school experiences and my college experiences kind of come to mind while Harry, Ron, and Hermione wander the halls of Hogwarts.
- Sirius Black – After having read the series a few times now, I know precisely who Sirius Black is. So, when Hagrid mentioned in The Sorcerer’s Stone that he borrowed a motorcycle from Sirius I kinda (okay, really) fangirled. Yeah. I don’t know. Sirius has always been one of my favorite characters and I’d never really noticed that detail and was so happy when I did!
So, those are some of the things that have been running through my mind as I reread Harry Potter. What are your favorite Harry Potter moments and who are your favorite characters? Danke und tschüss!