Guten Morgen, Leute! Wie geht’s?
I talk about a lot of things on this blog but movies just really aren’t one of those things. Today, though, I thought that it would be fun to talk a little bit about the movies that I really love. In this list, you will find book-to-movie adaptations, musical movies, and just your standard original films. This should be fun! Los geht’s!
- Freedom Writers (2007) – It was my aunt that originally showed me this movie and it instantly became one of my favorite movies of all time. It’s a truly deeply emotional movie full of great lessons and powerful real-life stories. This is one of those movies that I’m always going back to because it really is just a really wonderful one. I highly recommend it.
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) – When I think of musical movies that I really enjoy, this one definitely ranks high on the list. While SWEENEY TODD definitely isn’t one of my favorite musicals, this movie is so well done and I think that it’s so artistically and aesthetically pleasing. Honestly, what more would you expect from a Tim Burton film? There are some truly pretty songs in this too. I will say, though, that this movie is probably not a good pick if you’re queasy with blood–even fake blood.
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003) – I did a review of this movie on here a little while ago. I’ll leave the link for that right here if that’s something that you think that you’d be interested in reading. This movie is wonderful because it’s like a super hero movie but with classical literature characters like Dorian Gray, Mina Harker, Captain Nemo, Tom Sawyer, etc. and it’s just a lot of fun. I wouldn’t say that it’s the most splendid film of all time but it is one of those movies that I just really thoroughly enjoy!
- Much Ado About Nothing (1993) – If I have to watch Shakespeare, I always watch the Kenneth Branagh version. Why? Well, because his version of MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is just about my favorite thing in the world. It makes me smile like an idiot and it always makes me feel happy. I’m not a huge Shakespeare fan but I can’t help but love this particular show and especially this version of it. I highly, highly recommend it if you ever need some cheering up.
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001-2003) – I absolutely love The Lord of the Rings and I think that Peter Jackson did a wonderful job at making them into movies. I’m still thoroughly vexed by the fact that one of my friends has yet to see any of these movies and one of these days when we’ve got absolutely nothing to do, I intend to have everyone over for a marathon of these movies.
- The Santa Clause (1994) – I’m not usually a big fan of Christmas movies–I usually don’t understand the hype–but this one is a long-standing favorite of mine. I think that it’s a really fun, cute movie and I’ve loved it since I first watched it years and years ago. A few years back, I watched this movie practically every other day throughout all of December. And well, to put it shortly, I don’t regret it.
- Scrooge (1970) – This is probably my favorite musical movie of all time. It’s just one of those movies that I love so much that I kind of tear up just thinking about it. It’s a movie that makes me laugh, cry, and just really contemplate life. Honestly, I’m never tired of this movie whether it’s Christmastime or not.
- Dinotopia (2002) – This is technically a TV miniseries but I’ve always thought of it as a movie because I have it on DVD and it would just play all of the episodes through without a break. At any rate, this was one of my favorite things to watch as a kid and I still really love watching it from time to time. I would watch it more often if only it didn’t take so long to make my way through the whole thing. 26 was probably the first character I ever really considered a favorite and I still love her to this day.
- Beauty and the Beast (1991) – As a kid, Belle was my favorite Disney princess. I just connected with her and one of my favorite things to do was pretend to be here. I distinctly remember putting my hair into whatever style Belle had it in the movie in any given scene whenever I would watch it and I would replay certain scenes over and over again. I still really love this movie but I think that one of the main reasons it remains a favorite of mine is the nostalgic appeal it has with me.
- Tangled (2010) – This is probably my second favorite Disney movie. I’ve always thought that it was a really cute, fun movie and every time that I watch it, I like it more and more. It’s also one of the first movies that I have a clear recollection of watching in theaters. Rapunzel’s liveliness is honestly so contagious and I love watching the movie whenever I need a pick-me-up!
- Star Wars IV-VI (1977-1983) – I might get a little bit of a hate for this but… I’m not a big fan of any of the newer Star Wars films. I liked Rogue One quite a bit but I’m not a big fan of Rey’s story and I still have not even watched The Last Jedi, having declined to watch it when I had the opportunity. Will I watch it? Eventually, yes. It’s Star Wars. But… I’m more a fan of the original trilogy than anything else and I don’t think that I will ever enjoy the newer movies nearly as much.
- The Convenient Groom (2016) – I’m not generally a fan of sappy romantic comedies–they’re just not really my style–but I stumbled upon this one on the Hallmark Channel one evening when I was looking for something to watch and I loved this one. I don’t know, I just thought that it was really cute and sweet and that it was quite funny when it wanted to be!
- Hello, Dolly! (1969) – I mean… this is a really fun, cute musical movie. Although Barbra Streisand isn’t my favorite Dolly, she does a wonderful job and this movie is just so lively and I think that it does a relatively good job at bringing this musical to life and keeping its fun spirit. I always smile whenever I watch this.
- Cinderella (1997) – This is the Disney version of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s version of the story and I love it. Everything about this movie is just awesome, I think. It makes me laugh, it makes me smile, and I think that it just has a wonderful feeling to it. It’s one of those feel-good movies and I think that the cast was absolutely wonderful for this movie. Just so much fun.
I think that that’s my list! What are your favorite movies? Vielen Dank und tschüss!